The Baseball Guru Archives
[Previous entry: "Mex Pac League News : Game Results , Notes and Ben Reyes Memorial"] [Main Index] [Next entry: "Nicargauan League Player of the Week and Standings"]
12/12/2005 Archived Entry: "Mexican Pacific League News : Game Results"
By Carlos Fragoso
Obregón 6 Naranjeros 4 Mark DiFelice 5 – 2 Ken Ray 1 -4
Guasave 5 Culiacan 1 Ignacio Montaño 2 -1 Rigo Beltran 2 - 6
Mazatlán 10 Los Mochis 6 Oscar Bustillos 2 – 2 Evan Fahrner 1 - 5
Navojoa 5 Mexicali 2 Vinny Gonzalez 7 – 3 Fernando Valenzuela 3 - 1
Navojoa 4 Mexicali 0 Oscar Rivera 2 – 1 Brian Rodaway 1 - 7
OBREGON - HERMOSILLO
Yaquis obtained their first series of this second half beating Hermosillo 6-4 with an outstanding pitching by Mark DiFelice once again wo has become the only reliable pitcher in the staff and supported by a clutch 3 RBI home runs by Obregonian Albino Contreras (5) one of the two “twins of destruction” with his brother Sergio who is an OF for Navojoa., among the 3 hits he collected in the game.
Joakim Soria picked his 6th save of the winter, while,Chris Coste whacked his 10th round tripper for Yaquis and Juan Carlos “ Canelo” Canizalez his 9th for Hermosilo.
GUASAVE - CULIACAN
Cottoneers smashed two home runs, one by Kevin Barrer (5) and one more by Rajai Davis (1) in support to winner Ignacio Montaño who went 7.1 innings , allowing 3 hit and only one Culiacán run to lead Guasave to defeat Tomato Grower 5-1 off losing Rigo Beltran who has been simply unreliable this year for his team.
Jorge Cantu continued hitless in 3 games, going 4.0in the game.
MAZATLAN - LOS MOCHIS
Venados scoring 5 runs in the alter innings, did it once again and beat Cañeros 10-6 led by good relief pitching by winner Oscar Bustillos who fanned 7 Cañeros in just 2.1 innings of work and the hitting of Trenidad Hubbard who enjoyed a 6-4 , 2 RBI game along with the “Gonzalez Family” Adrian and Edgar who drove 4 runs in both, Edgar including his first home run of the winter , and Adrian going 6-3 and getting back to the leagues batting title race. Mark Worrell picked up his 7th save of the season.
For Mochis , Juan Castro went 4-2
MEXICALI - NAVOJOA
Navojoa Mayos climbed to the top of the list by sweeping Mexicali, winning twice last night 5 -2 and 4-0 respectively.
Vinny Gonzalez who has established as one of the most respected hurlers these days, won the first game going 5.1 inn with 4 hits and 2 runs and counted with the good support from 2 ribbies single by Jose Amador and one more by Norris Hopper to put the game in the fridge. for closer, Scott Chiasson who get his leading 15th save of the year.
For Mexicali Augie Murillo belted his 5th of the year .
Fernando Valenzuela lost his first game against hometown rivals and in front of his countryside ones.
In the second game, Oscar Rivera fanned 9 Eagles, allowing only 6 hits ( 3 by Derrick White ) and no runs to lead Mayos to defeat Mexicali by a shutout 4-0.
Jose Manuel Espinoza went 4-3 with 1 RBI as well as Jose Amador , Fernando Rios and Leo Rodriguez III to give all 4 runs support for Mayos.
MEX PAC NOTES:
• Ben " Cananea " Reyes the first to win a Caribbean Series for Mexico back in 1976 ,and who died 14 years ago, in Dec. 10th was brought into the memory of those who were pleased by his friendship, of course and among those are the writer of this column, who was selected by him as manager of the Mexican Junior National Team heading to the World Champioship in Brandon Manitoba , Canada.
I still remember that day calling me by telephone and asking me to come and see him at Seguro Social stadium where he was managing Red Devils, and telling me " Paisano which means “countryside “ in Spanish , I need your help in taking charge of the National Junior team bounding for Canada, and I replied why me? and he said , because you know most of the players better than anyone else and have had international exposure, so that`s why I thought on you, do you agree ? and I said yes "
I was so fortunate to talk to him in his Hermosillo home, shortly before he sucumbed to cancer, anyways life goes on, however most baseball people here still remember his greatness.
This was the time of my life, since had me the opportunity to share playing moments with USA Coach Jack Hodges out of Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, CA also with players like Aaron Boone , 1991 first draft pick P, Kenny Henderson , A.J. Hinch , Jacob Cruz , Ryan Luzinski whose dad Greg spent the whole tournament as well as the Boone`s , Bob and Ryan , Carlton Loewer , Canada`s Todd Betts , Stubby Clapp , Jason Lee , Cubans Vladimir Nuñez , Pedro Lazo , etc,
• Jesse Gutierrez has connected 10 home runs in 120 AB while Luis Alfonso Cruz in 169 AB both with Navojoa
• Jason Karnuth who pitched for Hermosillo 20 innings as reliever , fanning 13 opponents in 20 games was signed by Oakland for the upcoming 2006 season
• Jorge de la Rosa has fanned 14 in 9 innings pitched, however his ERA is a robust 6.00
• Oliver Perez has 11 K `s and 1.13 ERA in 8 innings pitched as of today
• Navojoa`s Doug Clark has raised to 3rd place in the batting top ten with .333 and 8 homers
• Ben Francisco has 12 home runs in 180 AB , getting closer to his best career back in 2004 while playing for Akron in 497 AB , so it looks that he is fine tuning his hitting abilities here
• Spike Lundberg leads pitching with 8-2 and 2.20 ERA