The Baseball Guru Archives
[Previous entry: "Mexican Pacific League News : Game Results"] [Main Index] [Next entry: "Mexican Pacific League News : Game Results"]
12/11/2005 Archived Entry: "Mex Pac League News : Game Results , Notes and Ben Reyes Memorial"
By Carlos Fragoso
Obregón 7 Naranjeros 5 Rafael Cruz 3-1 Gerardo Aguilar 0 -4
Culiacán 5 Guasave 0 Alejandro Rios 2 -1 Cecilio Garibaldi 0 -2
Mazatlán 7 Los Mochis 6 Hector Navarro 2 -1 Rafael Diaz 1 -2
Navojoa 4 Mexicali 3 Scott Chiasson 2 -0 Dave Manning 3 -1
OBREGON - HERMOSILLO
Lorenzo Bundy was appointed as the new Narnjeros manager repalcing Pat Nelly early befote they play his former team Obregón Yaquis but losing against them by 7-5.
Bundy with close ties with Naranjeros through Arizona Diamondabacks were he is part of the coaching staff and a Phoenix resident found himself back in the MexPac, in a attempt to secure Hermosillo chances to make it into the playoffs.
However Obregon had a non pleasant surprise when a 2GWRBI home run by Albino Contreras and a winning relief work by Rafael Cruz ( 3-1) , the saving of Lee Gronkiewicz (4) off loser Gerado Aguilar who allowed 4 Yaquis runs .
Obregon to win needed to score 5 runs in th 5th through a 2 runs home run by Chris Latham (2) who is hot these days , followed by a similar shot by Chris Coste (7) then Alfredo Amezaga doubled home another pair to turned the score in favor of Yaquis.
Doug DeVore and Carlos Valencia collected 3 hits apiece,
Matt Padget who played last winter with Guasave, made his debut last night and wnt deep in the 6th inning, he along with Chris Prieto were signed in replacing of Chris Robertson who decided return home for holidays, but claiming to be very exhausted to keep on going.
GUASAVE - CULIACAN
Culiacan beat Guasave 5 -0 with winner Alejandro Rios (2-1) in relief to starter Oliver Perez who went 4 innings allowing nly 2 his and fanned 7 Cottoneers to show that he is getting in shape for the upcoming MLB season and left the game in a pitches count situation. Cecilio Garibaldi ( 0-2) lost for Guasave.
Hector Alvarez 3 runs shot (3) wer all that Tomato Growers needed to get this victory, and Benji Gil collected 3 hits , seeming that he is coming out of the slump he was into, however Jorge Cantu kept on struggling , and still have not got any base hit in the season in 3 games.
Mazatlan rallied 6 runs in th 6th to beat Cañeros coming from behind and taking advantage of Mochis pitching out of command to beat them up 7 – 6.
Miguel Ojeda sngled home Trenidad Hubbard for the first run of that rally, then Ray Sadler tripled home , a WP brought one more and finally Domingo Castro singled home the 6th of the inning.
Winner Hector Navarro (2-1) in relief to Pablo Ortega and the 6th save by Mark Worrell off losing Rafael Diaz (1-2) put Venado in thei way to get this important game in a fight for the top leading position hold still by Cañeros.
MEXICALI - NAVOJOA
Aaron Holbert`s GWRI sac fly in the bottom of the 9th brought in Fernando Rios to beat Mexicali 4 -3 and made closer Scott Chiasson the winner off also closer Dave Manning .
Luis Cruz (10) , Aron Holbert (5) for Navojoa and Derrick White (5) plus Christian Presichi (7) went deep in the game, meanwhile Norris Hopper had a 4-5 night game
MEX PAC NOTES:
• Father and son facing as professionals happened FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN MEXICAN BASEBALL this week, when MATIAS CARRILLO JR. faced his dad in relief for Culiacan and forced him into a second base ground ball.
Carrillo Jr. a 19 years old, 6-5 and 185 pounded lefthanded pitcher and a Guaymas , Sonora native, just come out of the Baseball Academy and was signed by the New York Mets.
• Jarrod Patterson with major leagues experience in Dteroit and Kansas City is the replacement of Howie Clark in Mexicali, who left the team to attend family issues, he was having a terrific winter , batting .333 - 9 – 30 .
• George Arias is also ready to play with Mexicali playing Los Mochis next week
• Rodrigo Lopez and Esteban Loaiza has started their training sessions in ordet to be in shape and make their debut ASAP with Culiacan.
• Ever Magallanes who once played in MLB with Seattle and Cleveland resumed his playing career at age 40 in order to pursue a managing career, starting next spring managing Anaheim Angels , farm team of Tempe
• Elmer Dessens signed with Kansas City and immediately reported to Hermosillo to start getting in shape , throw some innings in order to be ready for spring training, he might be making his debut soon
• Two Mexican players were involved in the Rule 5 draft, Catcher Iker Franco who was picked by Cardinals out of Atlanta and pitcher Edgar Huerta taken by Colorado out of San Diego, both playin in the MexPac with Hermosillo and Culiacan
• Vinny Castilla attended another public act in Mexico, when he was a special guest to the PRI candidate to Presidency , audience gave a long round of applauses to Castilla
• Reliever Oscar Villarreal showed his emotion by being trade to Atlanta, a winning team that open his possibilities to be part of a World Series team
• Jesus Cota ( Tucson Sidwinders ) is 13 -1 in 7 games with his native Hermosillo
• Ben " Cananea " Reyes the first to win a Caribbean Series for Mexico back in 1976 ,and who died 14 years ago, in Dec. 10th was brought into the memory of those who were pleased by his friendship, of course and among those are the writer of this column, who was selected by him as manager of the Mexican Junior National Team heading to the World Champioship in Brandon Manitoba , Canada.
I still remember that day calling me by telephone and asking me to come and see him at Seguro Social stadium where he was managing Red Devils, and telling me " I need your help in taking charge of the National Junior team bounding for Canada, and replied why me? and he said , because you know most of the players better than anyone else and have had international exposure, so that`s why I thought on you, do you agree ? and I said yes "
I was so fortunate to talk to him in his Hermosillo home, shortly before he sucumbed to cancer, anyways life goes on, however most baseball people here still remeber his greatness.