The Baseball Guru Archives
[Previous entry: "OLYMPIC BASEBALL"] [Main Index] [Next entry: "Phillies Journal - 2004"]
07/09/2004 Archived Entry: "Japan and Korea Boycott MLB "World Cup""
Japan and Korea Boycott MLB "World Cup"
by Robert Kiyoshi Shadlow
The Korean Baseball Organization and Nippon Professional Baseball announced that they are boycotting Major League Baseball's proposed "World Cup" scheduled for March 2005.
After having conferred with Japanese Commisioner Negoro Yasuchika last weekend, KBO Commissioner Park Yong-oh will deliver Japan and Korea's mutual decision to MLB Commissioner Bud Selig at the MLB All-Star game.
The primary reasons for not particiapting are:
(1) MLB's "lack of consideration" to the concerns of Japan and Korea
(2) MLB and MLB Players Association reaping the majority of profits from the games
(3) Schedling conflicts with Japanese and Korean spring training and the beginning of the regular season
(4) MLB's rejection of Park's proposal of a steering committee to include KBO & NPB
(5) NPB and KBO feel that a "third party" such the International Baseball Federation should run the event
Kim Hyun-cheol. (2004, July 9). Korea Times. Retrieved July 9, 2004, from
(2004, July 9). Japan Times. Retrieved July 9, 2004 from